This recipe is a very famous main course in China and delicious too. You can
even add a hard-boiled egg or broccoli to this recipe. You would get enough
protein with this recipe which would keep you full till the next meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, leaving the tails intact
- cup basmati rice drained
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large carrot, peeled; chopped into 1” cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or as desired
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Ground black pepper & salt or to taste
1. The first step is to heat your device by selecting the sauté key. Once HOT
appears on the main screen; immediately add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable
oil. Add both the eggs & scramble for a couple of minutes, until just cooked
then, transfer them to a large plate, stirring frequently.
2. Second, add in the frozen peas; continue to cook until thawed & water
evaporates; scraping down the bottom of the pan to get rid of any eggs that is
stuck to the bottom. Transfer the peas to the plate as well.
3. Add one more tablespoon of the oil; carefully place ½ of the shrimp
(preferably in a single layer); when it begins to get pale pink, turn them over
& continue to cook for few more seconds and then, transfer to the plate as
well. Repeat this step with the leftover shrimps.
4. Add the leftover oil; stir in the garlic and onions; continue to cook for a
minute or two more, stirring occasionally.
5. Add rinsed & drained rice; sauté for a couple of seconds & then stir in the
cooked shrimp, carrot, water, ground pepper and salt. Close & secure the lid
of your device & press the cancel feature.
6. Select the rice mode and when the cooking cycle completes, wait for 5
minutes and let the pressure to release naturally then perform a quick release
function to get rid of the leftover pressure. Remove the lid carefully & stir in
the cooked peas, eggs, sesame oil, soy sauce & ground pepper, giving the
ingredients a good stir using a large fork.
7. Remove the pot insert from your instant pot base & place on a wire rack
for a couple of minutes to cool, before serving.
kcal: 428, Fat: 17 g, Fiber: 3.8 g, Protein: 19 g